Upgrade from OC7 to OC10

I am trying to upgrade from OC7 to OC10. I understand that I have to step through every major upgrade.

My problem is that the two most important apps for us are calendar and contacts - both of which are now 3rd party apps. Worse, trying to install them from git for the steps from 8.0 to 8.2 seems like a real pain.

Can I safely upgrade through the 8s without installing these apps? Once I get to the 9s I can use the marketplace.

Any chance for a fresh installation? It would be easier if the amount of information you’re using is small.

As far as I know, the current calendar and contacts apps are just the frontend, this means that the information is still in the core. However I don’t remember when this change happened.

I can’t say for sure if it will be safe or not, but have a backup so you can restore your current state in case the upgrade breaks things.

1 Like

Yes. The data of calendars and contacts is stored in the database, so there is no need to install the apps after every upgrade. With version 9.0 the dav-endpoint moved to core and there was a change to the table structure in the database for the data of calendars and contacts. The upgrade script takes care of the data migration. Here is a more detailed article about this: http://morrisjobke.de/2016/03/07/ownCloud-9.0-calendar-migration-analysis/

What I would do in your case is to backup all calendars and addressbooks. Then upgrade through all the major versions. Or even do a fresh install and reimport the backed up calendars/addressbooks as suggested by @jvillafanez. Depending on the hardware it might be a good idea to import calendars and addressbooks to a client and let the client sync the data to the server. With weak hardware and biggish calendars/addressbooks you might run in a timeout issue when reimporting directly to ownCloud.

If you have access to the server you could use the script calcardbackup to easily backup all calendars and addressbooks of all users.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you! I discovered much of what you wrote by experiment but I wish I’d known about calcardbackup!!

1 Like