Upgrade nightmare

Hi all.

I got caught by the security vulnerabilities of the past few days.

I havent updated Owncloud since installation (100% my fault) as the upgrade process has never worked for me.

The GUI version showed the following:

Current version is 10.0.8.5
Online version is 10.1.1 [stable]
Downloaded 100% (17 of 17) Downloaded 100% (17 of 17)
eDeleted 10.1.1.zip due to wrong checksume

Upgrading via cli always causes problems as PHP needs updating to a non supported! PHP version (7.4)

Now that we have had an incident and had to shut down several OwnCloud installations, We cannot upgrade them. We are getting this in the event log:

Uncaught Doctrine\DBAL\DBALException: Failed to connect to the database: An exception occurred in driver: could not find driver in /var/www/html/cloud/lib/private/DB/Connection.php:62\nStack trace:\n#0 /var/www/html/cloud/lib/composer/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Connection.php(475): OC\DB\Connection->connect()\n#1 /var/www/html/cloud/lib/composer/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Connection.php(437): Doctrine\DBAL\Connection->getDatabasePlatformVersion()\n#2 /var/www/html/cloud/lib/composer/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Connection.php(379): Doctrine\DBAL\Connection->detectDatabasePlatform()\n#3 /var/www/html/cloud/lib/composer/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Connection.php(844): Doctrine\DBAL\Connection->getDatabasePlatform()\n#4 /var/www/html/cloud/lib/private/DB/Connection.php(148): Doctrine\DBAL\Connection->setTransactionIsolation()\n#5 /var/www/html/cloud/lib/composer/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/DriverManager.php(262): OC\DB\Connection->__construct()\n#6 /var/www/html/cloud/lib/private/DB/ConnectionFactory.php(139)

I Understand that this is because of a PHP issue (not being able to find the mysql driver) but I’ve now given up on it after days of trying.

The issue seems to be that Owncloud is seems to be no longer maintained, as PHP 7.4 has not been supported for over a year. Trying to get this version working seems an impossible task. And now this is being actively exploited by hackers.

Is there a simple way of migrating a failed install to nextcloud? (Just user accounts etc)

Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04, PHP 7.4 Apache

That’s likely to be a bigger problem than PHP 7.4, which is still maintained and packaged. See deb.sury.org for more details.

That may be a better question for the Nextcloud community.

1 Like

Hey,

i would always recommend to use the manual upgrade way described by the ownCloud people below (i’m using that since i had started with ownCloud 10.0.x some years ago and never had any such issues).

From what i have read in the past the updater never worked really reliable, especially if using such an heavily outdated version like 10.0.8. :frowning:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.