Upgrade to 9.1 and back to 8.2.0.12 (fails)

Hi all,

My ISP urged the users to upgrade to a newer PHP-version. To get it over with I went into their webinterface and switched to PHP 7. That was last Wednesday. I checked my wordpress blogs, all was fine.

So I thought. I forgot that I have owncloud running for one digital calendar, so all my devices can connect to that one without going to iCloud or something.

I noticed an error in my calendar client on my Macbook. I went to http://[domain]/owncloud/index.php/apps/calendar/ to see if my data was still there and I got some lines of errors about certain files missing: "Warning: require(/domains/ /caldav/owncloud/3rdparty/symfony/polyfill-mbstring/bootstrap.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /domains/ /caldav/owncloud/3rdparty/composer/autoload_real.php on line 50"

"Whatever, let's upgrade" I thought. From 8.2.0.12 to 9.1. Get the files and throw it around the /config and /data through FTP, easy. Then the error 'PHP zip modules are missing'. Tech support suggested me to switch down to PHP 5.6 and try again. That's what I did.

Then I found out I made too big a jump from one version to the latest. "Updates between multiple major versions and downgrades are unsupported." So I replaced all the files (except /config and /data again) to something as close to 8.2.0.12 I could find on https://owncloud.org/changelog/, version 8.2.5.

Now I am staring at a blank web page where the updater dialogue should appear at [domain]/owncloud/

I need some inspiration, what could/should I do next? Perhaps find shell access through the terminal and google-up some commands? Not that familiar there, but it has usually been the way out. Thank you!

Server configuration
Operating system: Server Version: Apache/2.2.22 (Debian) DAV/2 SVN/1.6.17
Web server:
Database: Mysql
PHP version: 5.6

ownCloud log (data/owncloud.log)

Nothing in the log-file I did not mention yet. Last line in it says: "Updates between multiple major versions and downgrades are unsupported." Nothing after that.

Hi,

there is a FAQ available here explaining the needed steps. As there is no 9.2 available your upgrade path would be 8.2.0 -> latest 8.2.x -> latest 9.0.x -> latest 9.1.x as explained in:

I am sorry, yes I meant 9.1 where I wrote 9.2 in my posting (now corrected).

I now know about the proper upgrade path. It is just that I want to get the next version after my 8.2.0.12 version working to undo my mistakes.

I manually have replaced everthing except /data and /config with what I found in the 8.2.5 package. As I write this I am trying it again with a fresh download of 8.2.9 from https://owncloud.org/changelog/#latest8.2 What I did not try yet is to first delete everything (except /data and /config) and then put 8.2.9 instead of replacing. Some old or too new stuff might cause trouble? Doing that now. And yes! This actually made a difference!

Now I get:

"Exception: .htaccess file has the wrong version.
Please upload the correct version. Maybe you forgot to replace it after updating?"

And that turned out to be easy. Just edit the first line of the .htaccess file where it said 8.2.0 into 8.2.9. All works again!

Now onwards to higher grounds! 9.1 under PHP 7 perhaps. First I upgrade to 9.1, then I switch to PHP7 I assume.

So, hopefully others can learn from this mistake. When messing with versions, remember to delete all previous attempts (except /data and /config) and not just drop other versions on the mess you created. Does not work I just proved.

All version of OC later than 8.1 are compatible with PHP 7.0.

Indeed, now on 9.1.2 under PHP 7. Finally...