Very Basic Noob Questions

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra-6 running RAIDiator 4.x and it is said that I can install OwnCloud on that box.

The Questions:

• Will I be able to access files from my Android phone using a file manager like, for instance, X-Plore?

• Is OwnCloud working over a VPN?

• If so, can I use it with PersonalInternetAccess and the OpenVPN Android app?

• If not, how does it maintain security?

• If OwnCloud is freeware, what is the deal with mxtras.com charging five bucks or so for it ? Something about a ReadyNAS-specific version?

Yes, as long as they support connections to a WebDAV server

ownCloud is just a web application written in PHP so it will always work as long as you're able to reach the webserver serving ownCloud

What is mxtras.com?

If mxtras.com is providing a specific version, it is possible they developed their own version of owncloud, so it runs on ReadyNAS. ownCloud currently only supports specific OSs, you can look at https://owncloud.org/install/#edition, they are for free of course.
You can try to install a linux on the NAS, not sure if this is possible - than you can just install the native ownCloud. Otherwise, 5$ aren't much for some software, I think I would take the offer.

The other possibility is that mxtras.com is a service provider - then they offer their ownCloud to users who don't want to setup their own. Doesn't sound like what you want; I don't know though, because their website is just blank for me. Where did you find that offer?