What is the sync_journal.db for?

Hello,
does anybody now what exactly the file sync_journal.db is for? Can I delete it without getting duplicates etc. ?

My Problem: atm the sync does not work. When I delete a folder on the web interface, it still exists on the client even after a few syncs.
The logs are more than cryptic (is the anywhere a documentation about the meaning of the log messages)

Expected behaviour

owncloudcmd should sync all folders and files

Actual behaviour

At least one folder is not synced

Steps to reproduce

Server configuration

Operating system: Debian 11

Web server: Apache2

Database: MariaDB

PHP version: 7.4.33

ownCloud version: 10.13.2

Storage backend (external storage):

Client configuration

Client version: 4.2.0

Operating system: openSUSE Tumbleweed

OS language: english

Qt version used by client package (Linux only, see also Settings dialog): Commandline client

Client package (From ownCloud or distro) (Linux only): Distro

Installation path of client:

Logs

23-10-20 08:45:20:680 [ info sync.discovery ]: Processing “service/australia_service/Test_folder” | valid: true/true/false | mtime: 1697717911/1697717911/0 | size: 0/2/0 | etag: “65311e97ba63d”//“” | checksum: “”//“” | perm: “DNVCKR”//“” | fileid: “02546343oc6ec311e4fc”//“” | inode: 568329/568329/ | type: CSyncEnums::ItemTypeDirectory/CSyncEnums::ItemTypeDirectory/CSyncEnums::ItemTypeFile
23-10-20 08:45:20:680 [ info sync.discovery ]: Discovered “service/australia_service/Test_folder” SyncInstruction(CSYNC_INSTRUCTION_REMOVE) OCC::SyncFileItem::Down CSyncEnums::ItemTypeDirectory

Regards

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

the sync_journal.db is the local database that is maintained by the sync client. For proper two way syncing it is needed to keep meta data about the sync on the client machine. Please do not remove it.

The reason why your dir is not removed is not shown in the log snippet - which looks alright. Maybe you have an opened file in it? Maybe there are hidden files, that can not be removed?

Klaas

1 Like

Hello Klaas,

the dir is an empty dir I only created to see, if it is transfered. There is no file in that directory, even no hidden files.
What happens, If I delet the sync_journal.db?

Regards

Daniel

Ok, more files which are newly created and not tranferred.
Still tzhe question: wwhat happens, if I delete the sync_db? Total mess? Or does it only take longer to sync?

Needs a new initial discovery of your remote files, which could take a while, and your selective settings settings will be gone.

1 Like

So no duplicated files? No accidental deletions?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.