Windows 2.7.6 "Error writing metadata" when using Virtual Files (Ubuntu Server)

Expected behaviour

Virtual files working normally.

Actual behaviour

Occasional corrupt files and consistent “error writing metadata” message every time I save a file.

Steps to reproduce

1. Install ownCloud Windows client and connect to Ubuntu Server
  2. Activate virtual files
  3. Save a file (e.g. working in Word)

Server configuration

Operating system: Ubuntu 20.04 Server (running as VM on Unraid)

Web server: N/A

Database: MariaDB

PHP version: 7

ownCloud version: latest

Storage backend (external storage): N/A

Client configuration

Client version: 2.7.6

Operating system: Windows 10

OS language:English

Logs

04-26 19:33:11:081 [ debug sync.database.sql ] [ OCC::SqlQuery::bindValue ]: SQL bind 1 “word4.docx”
04-26 19:33:11:081 [ debug sync.database.sql ] [ OCC::SqlQuery::exec ]: SQL exec “SELECT lastTryEtag, lastTryModtime, retrycount, errorstring, lastTryTime, ignoreDuration, renameTarget, errorCategory, requestId FROM blacklist WHERE path=?1 COLLATE NOCASE”
04-26 19:33:11:081 [ warning sync.propagator ]: Could not complete propagation of “word4.docx” by OCC::PropagateUploadFileV1(0x86b94a8) with status OCC::SyncFileItem::FatalError and error: “Error writing metadata to the database”
04-26 19:33:11:083 [ debug sync.statustracker ] [ OCC::SyncFileStatusTracker::slotItemCompleted ]: Item completed “word4.docx” OCC::SyncFileItem::FatalError CSyncEnums::CSYNC_INSTRUCTION_SYNC
04-26 19:33:11:083 [ warning sync.vfs.win ]: void __thiscall OCC::VfsWin::fileStatusChanged(const class QString &,class OCC::SyncFileStatus) : couldn’t setinsync: “WindowsError: ffffffff80070178: The file is not a cloud file.”
04-26 19:33:11:084 [ debug sync.localdiscoverytracker ] [ OCC::LocalDiscoveryTracker::slotItemCompleted ]: inserted error item “word4.docx”
04-26 19:33:11:084 [ debug sync.networkjob ] [ OCC::AbstractNetworkJob::slotFinished ]: Network job OCC::PUTFileJob finished for “/word4.docx”

Have you tried uploading the file with an ownCloud client, that doesn’t have VFS enabled and therefore ruled out a server issue?

Hi Eneubauer,

Thanks for your reply! Yes — as soon as I disable virtual files, the problem completely disappears. It seems to be an issue with that feature.

Michael

the problem persist, I have 2.8.2 version of the client, and as long as I don’t close Microsoft Excel, the error metadata’s showed. The solution isn’t pass to disabled VFS, because I need of VFS.
When would this problem be resolve?
thanks

Could you check with the 2.9 daily builds?
win | download.owncloud.com

Hi, when you see this problem, is there any “Endpoint Protection Software” such as Antivirus running on the windows client machine?

Issue was opened in the public repository on GitHub.com:
Upload fails with "Error writing metadata to the database" when using VFS · Issue #8754 · owncloud/client · GitHub