423 locked file when trying to update

Client = windows 10 64bit, running 2.4.0 owncloud client.
Server = Cent OS 7 running owncloud 10.4.0 server

When I deleted a file in the sync directory, it is throwing an error on the client:

2/3/2018 9:24:58 PM,tools-keys-etc/software/CISCO VPN/vpnclient-winx64-msi-5.0.07.0290-k9.exe,E:\DUDES\backups-resume-drivers,Server replied "423 Locked" to "DELETE https://chi.swamp.xyz/owncloud/remote.php/dav/files/vivithemage/backups-resume-drivers/tools-keys-etc/software/CISCO VPN/vpnclient-winx64-msi-5.0.07.0290-k9.exe"

Everything else is going fine. I also noticed though, that I deleted a directory on the client, and it would not sync, also threw an error, but I ignored it, and just removed it from syncing in the interface.

I do have encryption on the server enabled, for whatever that's worth. I also have been using this instance since 7.x I think, before the merger, and beyond, haha. It's worked great up to this point.

Hi,

do you have file locking enabled?

Where can I see that?

In your config.php. But if you ask I assume that you don't.

you could clear this table in your database, this deletes all the locks on your files:

oc_file_locks

here is the command to use:

truncate oc_file_locks

I don't think that was it:

MariaDB [clouddb]> truncate oc_file_locks;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

I did confirm I do not have oc_file_locks in my config file.

Ah, I resolved it. Looks like my cron jobs may have never ran. So I ran it manually.

I dumped myself into the apache user:

su -s /bin/bash apache

then ran the cron job script, which took about 30 minutes or so.

php -f /var/www/html/owncloud/cron.php

I then added it to crontab for apache:

crontab -e -u apache
*/15 * * * * php -f /var/www/html/owncloud/cron.php

I have similar problem, I can’t resolve it :

Hey,

maybe the following is helping you:

ehh… it is higher mathematics for me…

this one helped : )
DELETE FROM oc_file_locks WHERE 1

Hey,

nice that you have found a possibility to work around this message. If i’m understanding both topics correctly there are two things which should be configured so that those messages are not showing up again in the future:

1. Configuring / setup cron based background jobs: https://doc.owncloud.com/server/10.1/admin_manual/configuration/server/background_jobs_configuration.html#cron

2. Configuring / setup redis for file locking: https://doc.owncloud.com/server/10.1/admin_manual/configuration/files/files_locking_transactional.html

1 Like

THIS is the correct answer. Cron is not setup by default, and if you don’t use the web interface, all background jobs and/or time consuming tasks will not run.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey,

i have seen the following FAQ of the ownCloud people where they are clearly stating that ownCloud shouldn’t be used as a backup solution:

No. ownCloud is absolutely not a backup solution.

• Changes you make in one place are synchronized to other places which means that if you accidentally remove or overwrite a file on your local system, ownCloud will remove it from the server.
  • If a file gets corrupted at one place the corrupted file gets distributed to other places.
  • The ‘previous files’ and ‘undelete’ functionality of ownCloud is merely meant as a convenience and should never be relied upon as a backup function. Algorithms are in place that clean up ‘old files’ and thus, changes will get lost over time.
  • External Storage connects ownCloud to an external storage like FTP, SMB another ownCloud Server or third-party providers like Google Drive, Amazon S3 or Dropbox. Files will show up in your web interface and can be synced with the client. However, they are not replicated on your ownCloud server!

For the other problems maybe it makes sense that you create a new topic explaining your environment, ownCloud client and server versions and similar so that some one can sort out a possible solution?

1 Like