Desktop client causing "Connection Refused"?

Hello,

I encountered a very strange bug this morning. Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce it anymore. I will try to describe what happened the best I can. I would be curious to know if someone else got similar issues.

Expected behaviour

Ok so, basically, I run OwnCloud on a raspberry pi which is connected to my local network. Usually, I connect to it with SSH from my laptop (also connected to my local network). However, the raspberry can also be accessed from outside the local network (I just have to replace its local address with a domain name I bought and tied to it). So in a normal situation, I connect to it with an ssh command like this: ssh <username>@<domain-name>.

I would expect this to still work after installing the desktop client.

Actual behaviour

Yesterday, I installed the desktop client and connected it to the server using the right domain name. It worked. Before going to sleep, I shutdown my laptop but also the raspberry.

This morning, I started my laptop and the raspberry. When I start the raspberry, OwnCloud is not started directly (I have to start it manually). So, of course, the desktop client says it’s “disconnected”. In order to start the OwnCloud server, I try to SSH into my server as usual: ssh <username>@<domain-name>. I get a “Connection Refused” error.
However, if I use the raspberry local address, it works: ssh <username>@<local-ip-address>.
I get the same kind of behavior from my mobile when connected to the WiFi: I can only SSH using the local IP address.
But, if I try to connect from outside my local network, it works.

If I shut down the desktop client (running on my laptop), then my usual SSH command (ssh <username>@<domain-name>) works again from my laptop but also from my mobile (connected to WiFi). That’s why I think that the OwnCloud desktop client is causing the error.

To sum up: I cannot connect to my raspberry, from ANY of my devices connected to the local network, as long as the desktop client is running on my laptop. What could be the cause of that?

Finally, I managed to start the OwnCloud server using the SSH command with its local IP address. As a consequence, the desktop client went from “disconnected” to “connected”. And now, I don’t have this issue anymore (even if I shut down the server again).

Steps to reproduce

I don’t think that you could reproduce my issue unfortunately since it is quite specific to my setup. I am not able to reproduce it myself anymore since I started the OwnCloud server. I tried my best to describe the different steps in the previous section. Don’t hesitate to ask me for more details.

Server configuration

Operating system: Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

I use docker-compose to setup the server:

version: '2.1'

volumes:
  files:
    driver: local
  mysql:
  backup:
  redis:

services:
  server:
    image: owncloud/server:latest
    depends_on:
      - db
      - redis
    environment:
      - OWNCLOUD_DOMAIN=<my-domain-name>
      - OWNCLOUD_DB_TYPE=mysql
      - OWNCLOUD_DB_NAME=owncloud
      - OWNCLOUD_DB_USERNAME=owncloud
      - OWNCLOUD_DB_PASSWORD=owncloud
      - OWNCLOUD_DB_HOST=db
      - OWNCLOUD_ADMIN_USERNAME=admin
      - OWNCLOUD_ADMIN_PASSWORD=admin
      - OWNCLOUD_MYSQL_UTF8MB4=true
      - OWNCLOUD_REDIS_ENABLED=true
      - OWNCLOUD_REDIS_HOST=redis
      - OWNCLOUD_LOG_TIMEZONE=Europe/Paris
      - OWNCLOUD_LOG_FILE=/var/www/owncloud/log/owncloud.log
    networks:
      - web
      - internal
    labels:
      - traefik.enable=true
      - traefik.frontend.rule=Host:<my-domain-name>
      - traefik.port=8080
      - traefik.docker.network=web
    healthcheck:
      test: ["CMD", "/usr/bin/healthcheck"]
      interval: 30s
      timeout: 10s
      retries: 5
    volumes:
      - files:/mnt/data
      - /var/log/owncloud:/var/www/owncloud/log

db:
    image: webhippie/mariadb:latest
    environment:
      - MARIADB_ROOT_PASSWORD=owncloud
      - MARIADB_USERNAME=owncloud
      - MARIADB_PASSWORD=owncloud
      - MARIADB_DATABASE=owncloud
      - MARIADB_MAX_ALLOWED_PACKET=128M
      - MARIADB_INNODB_LOG_FILE_SIZE=64M
    healthcheck:
    volumes:
      - mysql:/var/lib/mysql
      - backup:/var/lib/backup
    networks:
      - internal

redis:
    image: webhippie/redis:latest
    environment:
      - REDIS_DATABASES=1
    healthcheck:
    volumes:
      - redis:/var/lib/redis
    networks:
      - internal

networks:
  web:
    external: true
  internal:

OwnCloud version: 10.3.1 (stable)

I use Traefik on the raspberry to setup HTTPS with Let’s Encrypt.

Client configuration

Client version: 2.6.0 (build 1714)

Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver)

Qt version used by client package (Linux only, see also Settings dialog): 5.12.5

I installed the client with APT.

Logs

Don’t hesitate to ask me for specific logs if needed.

Sorry if it is not clear :wink: If it happens again, I might be able to provide more details.

If you’re using dynamic DNS I would guess that this is just a cached DNS entry in your local network.
Next time this happens check what your domain resolves to from within the network and from outside. If there’s a different between the two, my theory is right.

2 Likes

Hey,

maybe the raspberry pi isn’t able to handle the load (overheating etc.) or there are some other services or network components having problems with the load causing a connectivity loss between the desktop pc and the raspberry?

It seems something similar about a problem was noticed in Owncloud Linux client getting timeout, Raspberry Pi 3 server crashing, could it be possible that the Raspberry isn’t a good platform to run ownCloud at?

1 Like

Thank you for your response, I will check next time

From what I saw until now, the Raspberry is fine running OwnCloud. I synchronized 120+ GB without timeouts and/or overheating (I monitored the temperature during the process)

1 Like