Ignored files — Prevent upload of undesired files and folders

Expected behaviour

According to what is described in OwnCloud docs, adding my folder /home/rui/Documents/Jobs/[1234] Folder with Huge Files/ to the list of ignored patterns should prevent it from being uploaded.

Actual behaviour

The folder is uploaded and a large portion of my limited user quota is wasted as a result.

Steps to reproduce

1. “General” > “Edit Ignored Files”
  2. “Add” /home/rui/Documents/Jobs/[1234] Folder with Huge Files/ (or Jobs/[1234] Folder with Huge Files/, or even */Jobs/[1234] Folder with Huge Files/).
  3. Wait for syncing. Any local file inside the folder is now undesirably uploaded.
  4. A deletion of any remote file inside the folder causes the deletion of the local file, proving that it is not “ignored”.

A new line might be visible at /home/rui/.local/share/data/ownCloud/sync-exclude.lst:
/home/rui/Documents/Jobs/[1234] Folder with Huge Files/

Server configuration

Operating system: unknown to me

Web server: [private server running inside my university]

Database: unknown to me

PHP version: unknown to me

ownCloud version: unknown to me

Storage backend (external storage): unknown to me

Client configuration

Client version: v2.5.4 (build 515, Git revision fcdf54

Operating system: Fedora 30 with Gnome 3.32.2

OS language: English

Qt version used by client package (Linux only, see also Settings dialog): 5.12.1, OpenSSL 1.1.1c FIPS 28 May 2019

Client package (From ownCloud or distro) (Linux only): From ownCloud

Installation path of client: /opt/ownCloud/ maybe? (a lot of files is listed there by locate OwnCloud)

Logs

1. Client logfile: Output of owncloud --logwindow or owncloud --logfile log.txt
    (On Windows using cmd.exe, you might need to first cd into the ownCloud directory)
    (See also http://doc.owncloud.org/desktop/2.2/troubleshooting.html#client-logfile )

Errors with Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway. gui.application: Already running, exiting...

But I don’t believe it’s got anything to do with the current issue.

1. Web server error log: unavailable to me

2. Server logfile: ownCloud log (data/owncloud.log): unavailable to me

Paths don’t work here, only patterns.

Hi, @hodyroff, thanks for your reply.

But I tried the pattern */Jobs/[1234] Folder with Huge Files/. According to the docs , shouldn’t it match my entire folder?

Also, the docs are not very specific as to whether the patterns are matched against the local absolute (“full”) path of the files/folders, or else to the remote path (which, in my case, starts with Backup/Jobs/...).

This could make the difference for other cases, but in my case, I tried a lot of patterns and none of them causes my folder to be ignored.

Thanks again for the help, it is highly appreciated as I still haven’t found the solution :cry: