Moving without delete permissions causes Desktop client to crash

Expected behaviour

Moving a file in a share when a user has edit permission, but not delete permission, should move the file - nothing destructive is happening.

Actual behaviour

The file is moved on the user’s PC, but the ownCloud client continually crashes on startup.

Steps to reproduce

1. Create folder as user 1
  2. Share folder with user 2, giving create / edit / change permissions but NOT delete
  3. User 2 signs into ownCloud client and waits for sync to finish
  4. User 2 moves a file
  5. Restart client app
  6. App crashes
  7. Give user 2 delete permission
  8. Restart desktop app
  9. App no longer crashes, file moves are synced

Server configuration

Operating system: Raspbian Buster (all packages up to date)

Docker server image 10.4.1.3 (no Docker image for 10.5 available)

Docker version 19.03.12, build 48a6621
Docker-compose version 1.25.4

Client configuration

Client version: 2.6.3

Operating system: Windows 10

OS language: English (British)

Installation path of client: C:\Program Files (x86)\ownCloud\owncloud.exe

Thanks for opening the new issue.

Did you submit the crash report? Could post the crash id here?

1 Like

Hi,

A big problem we have is that Owncloud often and unexplainably doesn’t us a “move” to handle a move or rename of a file or a folder.

Instead it (annoyingly) proceeds to upload the files/folders to the server at the new location or with the new name and then deletes the original files/folders at the old location or name.

It would be interesting to know whether you are suffering that effect here - it could possibly account for your problem since it would be trying to delete a file which it can’t at a late stage in the sync.

@michaelstingl I did but unfortunately didn’t make a note of the (several) crash IDs

@joholm Yes that sounds very likely - I have noticed it do the upload of files to the new location instead of moving when working with video files - however I have also seen MOVE in logs?