Oc 10.13.x: php 8.x or still 7.4?

Just a short question: is php 8 support now implemented in core? I am in the middle of a migration to new hardware/containers and need to know the correct php environment… The issue on github

is closed and last statement was from @DeepDiver1975 at 25.8.:

No need to continue in here. PHP 8.x will come these days…

1 Like

Still PHP 7.4 like in this official statement: Announcement: ownCloud 10 and PHP Versions - Server - ownCloud Central Our docker containers include a maintained and secured version - that might be easiest.

1 Like

Hey,

it seems support for PHP 8.2 is ongoing:

Hey @tom42
yes, I see the PR feat: php 8.2 by DeepDiver1975 · Pull Request #40981 · owncloud/core · GitHub. A docker container with 7.4. just inside would also be a possible solution. But I still want to understand why the code of OC 10 is still at 7.4, one year after the end of the official community support for it (which ended 28.11.2022).

Aside from the technical aspects: Its just my recommendation that a technical discussion (“should we add php 8.2 support for the old product or not?”) should also take into account the possible backlashs on the image of an open source product.

From the (non-commercial) community perspective, this is pretty clumsy and helps journalists to write bad articles like this one at Cloud-Computing-Software ownCloud und Nextcloud angreifbar | heise online where the author states “owncloud is unsave and nextcloud is save” (in this case, with another context, GraphAPI).

2 Likes

Hey,

i think the “why” has been asked a few times in Announcement: ownCloud 10 and PHP Versions but only received speculations from other users but no official answer to it. I think that it could be possible that we will never know the “why”. :frowning:

@tom42 @hodyroff

I have no “big” problem with that decision, as there are save workarounds when you use containered operation models (being it docker or anything else). I understand that the main focus lies on the future product OCIS, but there should also be “sufficient” maintenance for the older one. The switch to a major release of a runtime environment like php 8.x is a trigger for maintenance - at least from my personal point of view ;-).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.