So how to YOU create new external users?

I have a new owncloud installation that authenticate to our LDAP server, but I also create external users who need to access our system. Ideally I'd like owncloud to email a newly created users a link that they can use to login and create their own password (like a password reset link). Unfortunately I always have to send them a separate email saying

"You've just received a notice indicating than an account has been created for you. Please try llogging into owncloud with a made-up password and then, when it fails, click the "Wrong password. Reset Password?" link. Enter your username and then a password reset link will be sent to you"

That is pretty awkward. Yes I could send them the password that I entered when I created the account, but
1) That is insecure
2) They may not change it when they log-in, which is more insecure.

Ideally, I shouldn't enter a password at all. I should just create a user by entering an email address and ownlcoud should send the "password reset" link to them.

Hi,

moving to the feature request category as the following is indeed the only possibility currently:

However i'm closing this issue as there is an existing feature request available here:

which seems to link to an existing PR where some one is currently implementing this functionality: