Wipe and re-install owncloud 9 and restore files? How to do this?

Hi!

I upgraded from owncloud 8 to 9 on a centos 7.2 system with php5 and postgres. Owncloud is working for files but the contacts/calendar apps are broken and not installed. App store does not work and I’m getting a lot of curl error messages.

I’m thinking I wipe out my install and restore the files from backup.

How would I do this? My thought was:

• backup everything (done this)
  • wipe out the files and distro
  • wipe out the postgres database via drop tables
  • re-install the owncloud
  • re-run the installer, re-configure, add ldap users
  • restore user files
  • users can restore their contacts via their devices

Will this work?

Did I miss any steps?

How can I restore the files? Can I drop the replacements into the user directories? What occ command would I run to let owncloud know that the files are now there?

(I can’t go to owncloud 10 due to php 5 being the only supported php on the centos 7.2 system.)

Thanks,

Bobby

If you have php5.6 you can upgrade it to ownCloud 10. You can find apps in the new marketplace: https://marketplace.owncloud.com but most of them compatible with oc10 or higher. ownCloud 9.1 support is ended in 02.2018: https://github.com/owncloud/core/wiki/Maintenance-and-Release-Schedule . Also, you can consider to install php7 on different repo. Good luck

Hey,

maybe the post below could be interesting for your as well. Personally i would revert to your backup of 8.2, look for the mentioned repository providing PHP 7 and then upgrade afterwards to 10.0.10. This sounds to me like the most sane thing to do.

Hi!

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I ought to see about installing OC 10 then. I have a lot of stuff running on my web server so I don’t know what else will break with php7.

Since I’m currently running OC9 and its partially broken, I still need to wipe and install a fresh version.

Can I simply restore the user files from a backup by dropping them into the directories?

Thanks,

Bobby

Hi!

I’m looking over php7.x on CentOS 7 and it seems pretty messy and not a real install. The packages seem to install everything in /opt/rh and /etc/opt/rh. Not sure I want to go that route.

I think I should go to 9.1 and then wait for next version of centos that bundles php 7.x and then upgrade my entire webserver.

So, back to original questions. Can I drop in the user shared files from backup after fresh install?

Thanks,

Bobby

Hey,

maybe the answer below is working here as well?

Thanks!

I found that article as well. I think I’m going to wipe my install, re-install the packages, then re-configure via the wizard, and then copy/restore back the files and then re-scan.

Upgrading to php 7.x and oc 10 on my centos 7 breaks too many things. Spent a lot of time yesterday undoing that on a test centos 7 system.

Bobby

Hi!

I have sorta successfully re-installed owncloud. It created a new database (I saved the old one)

Calendar and contacts were broken (looks like a schema change from 8 to 9).

But, I just dropped the old files into the new owncloud data directory and everything is happy. Owncloud client on linux insisted on re-syncing but otherwise, no problem there.

Bobby

1 Like