Is Owncloud dead?

Hi,

is owncloud still under active development or is it dead? PHP 7.4 will run out of support by the end of the year and there is still no PHP 8 support for owncloud. This would force me to switch to nextcloud.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I’ll prepare the nextcloud migration

1 Like

Hi,

we are about to release a complete new product, that feels very different from being dead…

With migrations, there is no need to hurry. ownCloud 10 will be supported on a maintained PHP platform way longer than end of year, either way.

Maybe you rather want to migrate to Infinite Scale at some point, in that case migration will be easier from ownCloud.

Klaas

1 Like

Maybe you rather want to migrate to Infinite Scale at some point, in that case migration will be easier from ownCloud.

Does that mean there will be a migration process to move from v10.x to Infinite Scale when released?

Will Infinite Scale force the use of https rather than just advising it as at present?

Sorry for the late answer - yes, there will be migration paths from ownCloud 10 to Infinite Scale once Infinite Scale is released.

Has anyone tried to get OCIS beta running on Unraid?

I dont like nextcloud…had too many problems right off the bat.

Owncloud seems really good, core seems fast and reliable but the community is really small.
I thought about trying infinite scale, but I get a direct error that it’s missing a secret (plus there is no information about how the databases are setup)

Any tips?

Hey, cool that you’re trying Infinite Scale.

Have you seeen the documentation here: Introduction to Infinite Scale :: ownCloud Documentation ? If you need more details, you should consult the developers documentation here: https://owncloud.dev/

Infinite Scale does not use databases as the PHP based clouds did, that is why you found no info about setting them up.

Hope that helps,

Klaas

Thanks. That is very helpful. I got it running with the classic docker run / portainer.
It started fine but i cant open the settings menu or see any apps options.
Ill go to the public chat and ask.

Hello there,

is owncloud still under dynamic turn of events or is it dead? PHP 7.4 will run out of help before the year’s over and there is still no PHP 8 help for owncloud. This would drive me to change to nextcloud.

Hello,

well, sadly you are not the only one feeling concern about the PHP8 “”“upcoming”"" …
So far as I could understand, PHP8 is not on the roadmap for ownCloud 10, Infinite Scale won’t replace ownCloud 10, but there will be a migration path to migrate from ownCloud 10 to Infinite Scale …
If it makes any sense to you :sweat_smile:
Some ressources about this whole endless no answer topic:

Cheers !

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.