Upgrade impossoble

I guess I made a mistake. I have 10.0.85 installed as a package from my server and now I manually tried to upgrade to 10.0.9… OwnCloud turned into maintenance mode, which I have disabled. This way I got a message “Click to upgrade” and than this:

OC\RepairException: Upgrade is not possible

Repair warning: You have incompatible or missing apps enabled that could not be found or updated via the marketplace.
Repair warning: Please install or update the following apps manually or disable them with: occ app:disable activity occ app:disable announcementcenter occ app:disable audioplayer occ app:disable files_antivirus occ app:disable files_clipboard occ app:disable files_pdfviewer occ app:disable files_reader occ app:disable files_texteditor occ app:disable groupalert occ app:disable guests occ app:disable security occ app:disable templateeditor
Repair warning: For manually updating, see https://doc.owncloud.org/server/10.0/go.php?to=admin-marketplace-apps

Preparing update
Set log level to debug
Turned on maintenance mode
Repair warning: You have incompatible or missing apps enabled that could not be found or updated via the marketplace.
Repair warning: Please install or update the following apps manually or disable them with: occ app:disable activity occ app:disable announcementcenter occ app:disable audioplayer occ app:disable files_antivirus occ app:disable files_clipboard occ app:disable files_pdfviewer occ app:disable files_reader occ app:disable files_texteditor occ app:disable groupalert occ app:disable guests occ app:disable security occ app:disable templateeditor
Repair warning: For manually updating, see https://doc.owncloud.org/server/10.0/go.php?to=admin-marketplace-apps
OC\RepairException: Upgrade is not possible

How do I get out of this now…?

Steps to reproduce

Expected behaviour

Tell us what should happen

Actual behaviour

Tell us what happens instead

Server configuration

Operating system:

Web server:

Database:

PHP version:

ownCloud version: (see ownCloud admin page)

Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install:

Where did you install ownCloud from:

Signing status (ownCloud 9.0 and above):

Login as admin user into your ownCloud and access 
http://example.com/index.php/settings/integrity/failed 
paste the results into https://gist.github.com/ and puth the link here.

The content of config/config.php:

'admin' -> 'Generate Config Report' -> 'Download ownCloud config report'
This report includes the config.php settings, the list of activated apps
and other details in a well sanitized form.

or 

If you have access to your command line run e.g.:
sudo -u www-data php occ config:list system
from within your ownCloud installation folder

*ATTENTION:* Do not post your config.php file in public as is. Please use one of the above
methods whenever possible. Both, the generated reports from the web-ui and from occ config:list
consistently remove sensitive data. You still may want to review the report before sending.
If done manually then it is critical for your own privacy to dilligently
remove *all* host names, passwords, usernames, salts and other credentials before posting.
You should assume that attackers find such information and will use them against your systems.

List of activated apps:

If you have access to your command line run e.g.:
sudo -u www-data php occ app:list
from within your ownCloud installation folder.

Are you using external storage, if yes which one: local/smb/sftp/…

Are you using encryption: yes/no

Are you using an external user-backend, if yes which one: LDAP/ActiveDirectory/Webdav/…

LDAP configuration (delete this part if not used)

With access to your command line run e.g.:
sudo -u www-data php occ ldap:show-config
from within your ownCloud installation folder

Without access to your command line download the data/owncloud.db to your local
computer or access your SQL server remotely and run the select query:
SELECT * FROM `oc_appconfig` WHERE `appid` = 'user_ldap';

Eventually replace sensitive data as the name/IP-address of your LDAP server or groups.

Client configuration

Browser:

Operating system:

Logs

Web server error log

Insert your webserver log here

ownCloud log (data/owncloud.log)

Insert your ownCloud log here

Browser log

Insert your browser log here, this could for example include:

a) The javascript console log
b) The network log 
c) ...

From your description, I assume you don’t have shell access, no option to run the suggested occ app:disable.

This is what I would try in such situation. Without any warranty.

If you have a tool like phpMyAdmin to access the DB, you can use it, to disable all the apps in question.

Go to table oc_appconfig, configkey enabled, set configvalue to No. Repeat for each app in question. Then start over with the upgrade.

Finally you can enable the apps in the admin panel. One by one, to be sure!

What happened to all these apps?

Thank you very much. I think it may work. Finally my friendly server admin restored the previous version from a backup in the middle of the night. And I now I need to think how to approach this update again. Should I do something differently? Dissable the apps before upgrading?

No idea. Looks like ownCloud doesnt want to update itself alone, it wants all apps to be updated as well. Which at this point is impossible…

Do you have the market app installed/enabled?

The market app is used during upgrade to fetch the latest apps which are required to perform the upgrade.

1 Like

This is what I used to do that update, which ended up badly…

@vicdeo mind having a look - updater related … THX

I have “one click install” package of ownCloud offered by my hosting provider. It has automatic updates anablaed but right now info shows that package is up to date. Does it mean that there will a later update available for this kind of packages? Should i wait for it and do it over there from the server?

No idea what your provider is providing - maybe get in touch with him then.

In general, I ignore those packages controlled by the provider, for exactly this reason. You provider has the control what and when to update.

Could it be possible that the system wasn’t able to connect to the marketplace?

The installation is a preconfigured package by the hosting provider, so everything is possible. :wink:

I’m afraid you cannot run an official upgrade on such an installation, without ending up in massive trouble.

There seems to be something really weird with the installer.

I tried to upgrade my perfectly running test system from 9.1.8.2 to the proposed 10.0.9. No problems occurred during the upgrade, finishing with tons of green check-marks and “All done successfully”. But afterwards, instead of the main screen, I got that meanwhile famous “maintenance mode” forever. No way out.
:frowning:

It seems the same / similar was observed by @schwim in Stuck in maintenance mode due to apps not upgradeable

1 Like

Thanks, I saw that message.

The meanest part of the story is, beside the resulting unusable installation, that the on-screen log tells you, everything would be successful.

1 Like

Maybe it could help the developers to understand the issue if some similarities of the environments having this issue ware found.

In my case i did the update from 10.0.8 to 10.0.9 manually and havn’t found my installation in this state. Could it be possible that everyone here is using e.g. the Updater app? It could be possible that this is not that reliable and has general issues?

Of course I know that rumor. But for me it was working perfectly for years up to now. So sad.

Maybe there is a reason why it is considered to drop the web installation/update and to require having access to the terminal?

Of course there is a reason (for anything) and I’ll have no problem to accept. The web-upgrade is/was a matter of comfort, as long as it worked.
:disappointed_relieved:

1 Like