Upgrade impossoble

Hey, i was browsing a little bit through the github repositories today and found the “fix” for issues with apps during the update with the updater app. Maybe this broke something else for other edge cases during the update?

Hi Tom42,
what does this mean? That the updater would work again properly?

I have currently the issue, that I cannot update because of some apps (e.g.files_pdfviewer) and I do not have a clue, how to disable them. Could you probably advise how to do that?

Thx!

Hey, unfortunately i can’t tell you that much as i don’t have much insights into all that topics. :confused: (I’m not using the updater app which seems to me a good choice with all that reports of issues within it). Maybe it means that a developer needs to have a look at this issue to provide a fix.

If you scroll to the whole thread here and the linked other threads at the beginning there are also some advises of other users which got their installations to work again.

Update:

Seems @alfredb has already pointed you to a possible solution Upgrade impossoble in your other thread Help needed: how to update files after unsuccessful upgrade

1 Like

@Ralph I have the exact the same issue with that it is the pdf viewer that is blocking the update and thus i do not know how to disable that either…,
Looking for a solution too…

@PowerQuest Hey, as pointed out in your other thread you could have a look at resources other users are posting like the one by @alfredb here:

1 Like

Yes that did the trick. I just disabled the PDF viewer app and then turned off maintenance mode, run the DB upgrade and done! :smirk:

Thanks a bunch @tom42 for the tip! :+1:

1 Like

Hey, nice that you get this to work again :+1: Credits goes out to @alfredb :slightly_smiling_face:

Out of curiosity i did a search for this oc_appconfig here and found an existing FAQ which describes this method in addition to the occ command.

@alfredb What do you think, does it make sense to directly link to this FAQ if new users are stumbling over the same? At least the “delete folder” method seems to not work anymore in recent versions of ownCloud but the other two could still be useful.

1 Like

This might help, maybe. However, as the delete part no longer works, that post is somewhat outdated. So I don’t know.

1 Like

@tom42 An IMHO quite better approach would be, if someone writes an update guide, for all those users on a hosting without root access. I know that such a hosted installation is officially not recommended nor supported by ownCloud. But in practice, you see whats going on here. That many messed up installations.

Just my 2 cents. :wink:

Hey,

i think a problem from this arises that you would need some one with the knowledge about such hosting installations and problems, and at its best running ownCloud on such an installation to write the documentation.

When keeping in mind that there are discussions ongoing to drop the web based installer and updater and require having access to the terminal this might be another problem.

And even if there is a documentation it might be unread as you had seen in quite some other recent threads where some one asking a question which was already answered in the documentation.

The worst thing i had seen was the recent issue about the integrity and memcache topic where the messages itself contained a direct link to the documentation but the user wasn’t able to do a simply click on the documentation link to get the required information. :confused:

Thus I’m stopping to help in such cases.

occording err tip ,u need to disable some app use occ command
like is : occ app:disable activity occ app:disable announcementcenter occ app:disable audioplayer occ app:disable files_antivirus occ app:disable files_clipboard occ app:disable files_pdfviewer occ app:disable files_reader occ app:disable files_texteditor occ app:disable groupalert occ app:disable guests occ app:disable security occ app:disable templateeditor

For me I had to disable everything except the Market, including the updater itself, in the DB … very weird!

pfff then after the db upgrade, i went to the MArket to re install app, and know 500 error if i go on an other page than the Market…

I think you have done something terribly wrong. However, this seems to be unrelated to the initial problem.

maybe it does, since I finally succeed by deleting the files of the apps installed by the marketplace then re installed them
So to sum up: I launched the automatic update to 10.0.9, got stuck in maintenance, disabled maintenance mode, got the “OC\RepairException: Upgrade is not possible etc”, disabled all app in the db, nothing, re-enabled in the db the market, got the update done, went to market, installed previously used app and more, got 500 errors, deleted files installed at the previous step, re installed them through the market
but it’s not the first time i run into issues when updating owncloud, i get used to it