Upgraded from 8.1 to 8.2

Hello,

I upgraded owncloud from 8.1 to 8.2 and it worked fine! Then was trying to upgrade to 9.0 and when I checked the system requirements I had to upgrade Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 LTS. Once I upgraded Ubuntu to 16.04 I had a lot of PHP issues and MySQL is completely missing now. I haven’t upgraded to 9.0 yet. Do you recommend upgrading to 9.0 then 9.1 and 10.0? I am using tarball for the upgrades… Now I had to spin up another VM and working from a restore until I get this server up and running. Any help would be greatly appreciate it!!

Server configuration

Operating system: Ubuntu 14.04

Web server: Https

**Database:**MYSQL

PHP version: 5.6.33

ownCloud version: 8.1

Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install: updated to 8.2

Where did you install ownCloud from: Owncloud website

You can upgrade from 8.2 to 10.0 directly. We support such upgrade scenarios by now.

Never the less you need to take care that the environment is properly setup - e.g. correct php version, required php modules … please read the upgrade docs. Starting point: https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/maintenance/manual_upgrade.html

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I am a little confused about MYSQL though. Am I installing a new install of MYSQL then import data? I looked at the instructions and it looks like it’s for a new install and not for an upgrade… I appreciate your help!

Sorry one more question for you. Can I upgrade Owncloud from packages from 8.2 to 10.0 directly. I noticed here that says don’t skip a major release when upgrading via repositories. Thanks for your help as I am new to Owncloud server.

Starting owncloud 10 it is possible to skip major versions

2 Likes

If you’d be so kind as to oblige me here…

What about an upgrade from 8.0.2.0 directly to 10? It’s obviously a very old installation, and I’m terrified of cratering it.

I think you have to update to the latest 8.2 version, and from there you can upgrade to 10.

8.0.2.0 would not work in my estimation.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I’m in for a ride having put this off for so long. Recommendations for specific upgrade path? It looks like tags in the GitHub begin at 9, but there is a branch for 8.2.11 from what I can tell?

I would recommend the manual upgrade using tarballs.

Also to back up your system before upgrading.

1 Like

Thanks again. So, is there a specific location I should be looking for these old tarballs? Also, I’m assuming I should just review and follow the ‘manual upgrade’ approach documented here:

Hey,

from what i have read in the past you shouldn’t use the github tags / branches as a user for the reason that the recommended tarballs (which i’m recommending and using as well) are build from various repositories and build scripts. So i think the github tags / releases could miss files causing unexpected behaviors or failed upgrades.

I had found some blog posts about the upgrade from 8.2.11 to the recent one few weeks ago which i’m linking below. Maybe this can give some additional pointers into the right direction?

1 Like

Hey Tom!

Thanks for the pointers! I see your points regarding using the branches/tags in the repo, but I don’t really know where to get the older tarballs? The site only appears to have 9.X and 10.X links now… Perhaps I just haven’t found them yet.

1 Like

Heh. I literally just happened upon that URL from a Google search :slight_smile: Thanks for the assistance.

No Problem :slight_smile:

I hope you have a successful upgrade

1 Like

(LOL… and of course now the link pops out at me on the Downloads page! I’m blind now I guess).

Thanks. I’ll try to be as thorough as possible in my preparation. I’ll probably look at bumping up the capacity of my VPS at the same time.

One last thing; Providing I do get this successfully to 8.2.11; I should be able to move directly to 10.X after that? (EDIT: Disregard; pretty explicitly mentioned at beginning of thread :-S)

Oy. So I tried to upgrade my underlying OS distribution in anticipation of upgrading from OC 8.0.2 to something more recent, and it completely exploded on me.

Looks like I’ll be keeping this VPS snapshot until I find a path forward :-S

Hey,

looks to me unrelated and more an issue with the PHP setup rather then ownCloud or this specific topic. Something similar was discussed a few days ago here:

Thanks again for the assist here. I’d like to get my current OwnCloud Server version functional on an upgraded distribution and support packages. I may take another crack at it tomorrow with this additional knowledge.

1 Like

Thank you @DeepDiver1975! I was able to upgrade from 8.2 to 10.10.4 directly…

Now I am getting the below warnings once log in to owncloud. We are about 10 users and I am not familiar with this. Do I need to install it? I am using Ubuntu 16.04 Ubuntu server. Thanks for the help!!!